- Photo sizesSquare
XXS - tiny
XS - extra small
S - small
M - medium
L - large
Home / Recent Work / Mermaid, 2017, Brass, 7" x 3" / Mermaid, how it was made 27
- The Finished Piece
- 1. I started with a 10" disc of 16 gauge brass. Here it is after the first stage of raising.
- 2. After the second stage of raising.
- 3. After third stage of raising. That's more than enough.
- 4. I've sketched out the outline of the figure.
- 5. Pushing in from the outside, forming the edge of the tail.
- 6. I did a lot of this, pushing out from the inside on a sand bag.
- 7. Using the hydraulic press to push out the breasts.
- 8. Instant boobs!
- 9. One of many special stakes I used for this project.
- 10. Using the stake shown in pic #9 in the chin, and hammering under the chin to push the neck in.
- 11. Doing the first stage of planishing, with a heavy hammer. I will do a second stage of planishing with a small light hammer after it is annealed.
- 12. How it looks up to this point. The face was the hardest part. It looked like a man's face, and every day I would spend hours working on it and analyzing what was wrong about it, and making very little progress.
- 13. A "stalk of celery" stake I made just for this project.