Home / Recent Work / Improvisation #1, 2017, made from scrap of brass sheet, with apatite gem sphere added, 8" x 7" x 2.5" 23
Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
- 1. Scrap of 16 gauge brass sheet, what was left after pieces were cut out for other projects.
- 2. Hammering to make the metal thinner at the ends.
- 3. Using the hydraulic press to push out a dome shape.
- 4. The results of step 3.
- 5. Continuing that dome shape to the edges of the metal.
- 6. As much hammering as can be done without annealing it.
- 7. Annealing. When the brass has been heated red-hot it becomes malleable again.
- 8. forming a V-trough on a V-shaped stake.
- 9. flipping it over and forming it on the stake shown on the left.
- 10. Ready to anneal again.
- 11. After annealing, planishing on a ball stake.
- 12. Using a special stake (top) that allows me to planish in that one particular area.