Home / Recent Work / Isabelle ( a mechanical bell), 2017, Bronze and Brass, 9.5" x 15" x 9.5" / Isabelle, how it was made / Stage 2 39
Creation date / 2017 / March
- 1. Starting with three pieces of .047" silicon bronze sheet, the longest about 20" long.
- 2. Starting the cylindrical form with hammer and wood V-block.
- 3. Finishing up forming the tube (spiculum).
- 4. The seam silver-soldered.
- 5. What it looked like after pickling.
- 6. Forming the end on a domed stake.
- 7. Bending with the aid of a wood block. The bronze was extremely hard to bend.
- 8. The three main pieces all formed and almost ready to join together.
- 9. Hole drilled to accept a custom made brass nut for hanging the bell.
- 10. Custom made brass nut silver-soldered into the hole.
- 11. The three main pieces ready to be silver-soldered together.
- 12. Silver-soldering completed.
- 16. Getting things set up. I had to assemble, disassemble, and reassemble about a thousand times before I got everything right. I have obviously skipped over the making of a lot of the parts. I was just too busy to bother with photographing everything. Al
- 13. Here is the pull chain lever mechainsm, the lever has yet to be shaped. inside the brass ring is a one-way clutch/needle bearing. the two cylindrical shapes pointing upward are stops to prevent it from travelling too far in either direction.
- 14. Making springs on the lathe. The springs had to be custom made because I could not find torsion springs with the right configuration. I tried bronze wire first, which looked cool, but the wire was a little too small and didn't produce enough pull. Thi