- Photo sizesSquare
XXS - tiny
XS - extra small
S - small
M - medium
L - large
Home / Recent Work / Improvisation #2, 2017, made from scrap of copper sheet, with lingam stone added, 8" x 11" x 4" / Improvisation #2, how it was made 24
- The Finished Piece
- 1. I started with this scrap of 16 gauge copper sheet, about 28" long, and no preconceived design in mind.
- 2. Starting to form cylindrical shapes on a wood V-block.
- 3. Results of previous step.
- 4. Bending the metal around to complete the cylindrical form.
- 5. Forming what will end up being the top, on a sand bag.
- 6. Forming the points of the top on a wood V-block.
- 7. Smaller tools are needed for the ends of the points.
- 8. Bending the metal around to form conical points, or spiculums.
- 9. For the bottom part I got the sudden inspiration to fold it over on top of itself. It all happened so fast, I didn't get any pictures of the process.
- 10. In this picture, the seams of the cylindrical parts have been silver-soldered.
- 11. I discovered that the two points of the folded-over parts would fit perfectly into the triangular opening at the base of the stem.
- 12. After a LOT of hammering, I got everything fit together well enough to silver-solder the seams.
- 13. Now I have to contend with this weird nonsensical three-pointed star shaped thing. Using the stake shown on the left, I do some rounding and smoothing.